Thursday 7 November 2013

Short-eared Owl at Titchwell

Up early again and yes I saw Barnie whilst walking Tia but with good light this morning the bird didn't come back out that little later for the camera so after breakfast I headed back to Salthouse to grab a few more shots of the Phalarope taking advantage of the clear skies. Whilst "papping" the Phalarope two Long-tailed ducks dropped in off the sea to rest on the small pool next to us allowing a couple of record shots before flying further south out of view and on the walk back with a couple of birders we had a Lapland Bunting fly over whilst one guy was lucky enough to see it land briefly on the fence line. (283)
Grey Phalarope
Long-tailed Ducks at Salthouse
I then drove west stopping at the layby on the A149 at Burnham Overy to check for RL Buzzard but it wasn't seen today. I did pick out Common Buzzard and Marsh Harrier before spotting a Short-eared Owl hunting in the distance. Moving on I stopped at Brancaster where I watched Turnstone, Dunlin, Ringed Plover and a rather approachable Oystercatcher. (A bird I struggle to get in my lens)

Dunlin at Brancaster
Ringed Plover at Brancaster
Oystercatcher at Brancaster
I then moved on to Titchwell where I was delighted to find another Short-eared Owl showing well in the midday sun. A Sparrowhawk hunted the marsh and the bomb disposal squad exploded an old WW11 bomb on the beach at Thornham which put every bird for miles up in the sky. Water levels were high and waders in short supply with Pintail and Shoveler being the birds of volume. My last stop of the day was Stiffkey where I watched as Harriers came in to roost and a Peregrine hunted for one last meal for the day.

Shoveler at Titchwell
Short-eared Owl at Titchwell
Short-eared Owl
Another cracking day on the north Norfolk coast. I head home tomorrow but I'm sure we'll find somewhere to stop off on the route home.

No comments:

Post a Comment