Sunday 21 September 2014

Back for more Barred

I just had to visit the Barred Warbler at Gramborough Hill again today and it didn't let me down.
The bird showed really well with a supporting cast of two Yellow-browed Warblers. Dominic M. turned up and enjoyed the warbler before telling me he was heading off for a Long-tailed Skua reported on the sea at Cley so I went with him but despite arriving within minutes of the news we both missed the bird. A short sea watch followed where we had both Arctic and Great Skua along with Manx Shearwater, Red-throated Divers, Auks, Gannets and Brents all moving through but we failed to find the Long-tail. Dominic left to search for the Olive-backed Pipit whilst I returned to the Barred to see if the light had improved. I took a couple more shots and then continued my sea watch from Salthouse where I was lucky to be put on first Little Gull, then Arctic Tern followed by a flying Long-tailed Skua much to my delight.

Barred
Barred and Blackberry
Barred Warbler
A Seal carcase was attracting the attention of several Great Black-backed Gulls and both Sandwich and Common Tern moved along the shoreline.  More Shearwaters went distantly past but remained just Shearwater SP. on my list. I moved onto Cromer where I bumped into Dominic again as we looked for the confiding Yellow-legged and Caspian Gulls only to dip on both before moving on to Sheringham where a 1940's celebration day was in full swing with hoards of people dressed up in the uniforms of the day and all enjoyed the fly by of a Spitfire.

Spitfire
It's 1940 again!

Next stop was Brancaster Staithe where I had a fly over Spoonbill, Blackwits, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Redshank and Turnstones.

Turnstone


Year list now 250

No comments:

Post a Comment