Saturday 6 December 2014

Short-eared Owls at Wallasea Island

A brief stop at Wallasea Island this afternoon gave me the opportunity to see no fewer than six Short-eared Owls hunting. One was mobbed by a Peregrine and another interacted with one of the two ringtail Hen Harriers present. A Marsh Harrier joined the games as it flew through whilst five shorties were in the air together and a Rough-legged Buzzard was also reported this afternoon but wasn't seen by me on this visit.

SEO
Shortie
Short-eared Owl
SEO hunting at Wallasea Island

The images don't really do the experience justice but I'll keep trying to catch a better image of these magnificent birds.

2 comments:

  1. I saw to my first ever Short-eared Owl a few weeks ago now here in Dorset a wonderful bird watch. I like your pictures much better than my effort but like you say a wonderful experience, hope you do not mind this is my experience of my day
    http://wessexbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-search-continues.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good day watching them Martin, I can never get too much of these cracking birds...weather permitting I'll be out again this weekend chasing improvement in my images.

    ReplyDelete