Saturday 7 April 2018

Third first of the year

I got home tonight having picked up two year ticks at Hollesley Common with a single fly over Crossbill as I walked down to the trees and a singing Woodlark. As I arrived home it was a surprise to find a smart Lesser Redpoll  on the garden feeder and as it flew up into the tree with several Goldfinch I scanned trying to find it only to come across a splendid pair of Brambling sitting in the tree. Now they are not particularly rare in Essex during the winter but having lived here thirty years it has to be a bit special when they drop in for the very first time. With Red Kite and Reed Bunting added to the garden list last week I didn't expect another addition so soon.

Hollesley was a bit disappointing with nothing visiting the puddles apart from me John R.and Sean N. but good to chat while we waited for the non event. A single Dartford Warbler was seen along with several Siskins and Redpolls. An Arctic Redpoll  was being seen but I failed to connect with it and a Black Redstart was reported behind Redlodge but with the gamekeeper giving a couple of guys a hard time I decided not to bother looking for it.


Garden list now 64
British Year list now 173 

No comments:

Post a Comment